Razor-sharp and extremely detail oriented, Valerie Ferrier has earned a reputation as an exceptional attorney and zealous client advocate. Her many five-star reviews note her “fierce” litigation style, her broad legal knowledge, and her uncanny ability to “read the room” and quickly adapt her strategies and tactics accordingly. Valerie loves the intellectual challenges of practicing law and likens it to solving a complex puzzle; putting all the pieces together to get the right result. She aims to know more about the case than anyone present every time she walks into a courtroom.
Complementing Valerie’s impressive trial experience is the indispensable advice and counsel she provides to clients regarding the seemingly infinite number of compliance issues they must navigate. She is skillful in identifying exposure to risk, thereby helping clients avoid liability in the first place. Known for her responsiveness and accessibility, her 13+ years of experience include:
• Representing small and large businesses and institutions (including hotels, restaurants, hospitals and universities) in labor and employment claims.
• Defending wage and hour and misclassification claims (both single plaintiff and class and collective actions) under the Fair Labor Standards Act and the New York Labor Law.
• Litigating various types of discrimination claims, including those brought under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the First and Fourteenth Amendments, and the New York State and City Human Rights Laws.
• Auditing business timekeeping and recordkeeping practices; drafting employment contracts; updating business handbooks and policies; and acting as a human resources advisor.
• Training and counseling client management teams and employees on religious and disability accommodations, sexual harassment prevention, and general risk management.
Valerie receives regular praise from her peers, and she is rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®, their highest rating.
The energy and passion Valerie has for her work extends to her significant number of speaking engagements, including Continuing Legal Education seminars for the Firm and for Lawline. She has published extensively, writing about a variety of current topics that affect businesses, including COVID-19 return-to-work issues, sexual harassment claims in the age of #MeToo, and New York State Discrimination Laws.
American Bar Association – Labor & Employment Law Section
New York City Bar Association
Greater New York Chamber of Commerce
National LGBT Chamber of Commerce
New York State Restaurant Association