Product Liability is a relatively recent practice area (arising in the 1960s) that can involve claims against all parties associated with the production and sale of virtually any type of product imaginable. Manufacturers, designers, distributors, and sellers are all vulnerable to claims of injuries caused by the particular product at issue. Because of the extremely high financial exposure such claims carry, a thorough and well-crafted defense strategy is crucial.
WHO WE REPRESENT:
Our clients include hospitals and other health care organizations, physicians, ancillary health care providers, manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors, and retailers.
WHAT WE HANDLE:
Because there is no federal law governing the product liability area, our attorneys diligently maintain current and thorough knowledge of all applicable statutes, regulations, and developments in the tri-state area.
- Handle the full range of causes of action within the products liability arena, including those based on negligence, strict liability, and breach of warranty of fitness
- Represent hospitals, clinics, and physicians in medical malpractice cases arising from utilization of an allegedly defective product
- Represent manufacturers, distributors, retailers, and others in the supply chain of a product claimed to be defective
- Employ state-of-the-art technology to manage mass tort claims (class actions), including tracking and organization of the thousands of documents typically involved
HOW WE HELP:
Our attorneys have decades of experience defending parties along the full supply chain of allegedly defective products. This scope of legal proficiency includes allegations involving design defects, manufacturing defects, and defects in marketing.
Examples of product category cases we have successfully defended include:
- Breast implants
- Anticonvulsant drugs and vaccines
- Diethyl-stilbestrol (DES), a synthetic form of estrogen
- Ophthalmic instrumentation
- Plastic extrusion containers
- Metal fabrications and caskets
- Bicycle helmets
- Electrical pumps
- Metal punch presses