The primary reason Michael Sonkin has pursued a career defending medical professionals is best explained in his own words: “I truly believe that practicing medicine is one of the noblest professions. I can think of no greater service I can render than to defend health care providers with passion, integrity, and a commitment to achieving the very best possible results for them.”
With always meticulous preparation and expansive medical knowledge, Michael prides himself on vigorously defending his clients. Whether exploring medical theories of defense, pursuing key evidence, or meeting with principals and witnesses in advance of their testimony, Michael’s entire approach is based on being fully prepared, credible, and likeable in order to achieve the best possible result for his clients. Known for going to extraordinary lengths to uncover all relevant details surrounding a case, he has obtained a high number of successful defense verdicts during his career. His 27+ years of experience include:
• Defending individual physicians and major teaching hospitals in state and federal court against medical malpractice claims involving multiple medical specialties, including: obstetrics and gynecology; gynecologic surgery; infectious diseases and epidemiology; neurology; neurosurgery; orthopaedic surgery; cardiology; and cardiothoracic surgery.
• Representing major hospital and teaching institutions in high profile litigations carrying significant exposure.
• Trying legal malpractice and personal injury cases.
• Defending physicians against sexual misconduct claims.
• Representing clients in cases involving general liability as well as electronic discovery issues.
Michael has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America © since 2019 for Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants, and he has been rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®, their highest rating, since 2008.
As part of teaching the next generation of attorneys at Martin Clearwater & Bell LLP , as well as offering information for the professional liability defense industry as a whole, Michael is the head of the Firm’s Continuing Legal Education program, where he is also a regular presenter. Additionally, he has been an invited faculty participant in Hofstra University Law School’s annual Trial Training program.
New York City Bar Association