Distilling voluminous medical data and sophisticated legal concepts into terms that a jury can understand is a daunting task for any attorney, but Senior Trial Partner John Barbera genuinely relishes the opportunity. In fact, the enjoyment he derives from breaking down a complex medical case for the jury’s benefit is surpassed only by the satisfaction he gets by solving problems for his clients— the medical providers he refers to as the “true heroes.”
John is a member of the Firm’s Health Care Law Group, and his practice focuses on the defense of professional liability claims, complex personal injury cases, and a wide array of health care law matters. Always adhering to the highest ethical and moral standards, he has built an impressive scope of practice over the past 31+ years. His specific experience includes:
- Managing the defense of physicians and hospitals from the investigatory stages of a claim through trial.
- Representing health care professionals in professional disciplinary proceedings with the New York State Department of Health.
- Advising and defending hospitals, and their directors and officers, in physician staff credentialing matters.
- Representing hospitals, medical groups, physicians, nursing homes and educational institutions in a broad range of cases across multiple medical specialties, including ophthalmology, neurosurgery, gastroenterology, orthopedic surgery, and gynecology.
- John has been rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell®, their highest rating since 2014. His vast legal experience, integrity, and strong work ethic are frequently noted by his peers.
As a member of the Firm’s Education Committee, John lectures on risk management and defense of malpractice cases to physicians, nurses, and other health care professionals. He has lectured to New York State’s Supreme Court Judges and clerks as part of the Judiciary Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Program, and regularly lectures to attorneys and clients as part of the Firm’s CLE seminars. He is also an invited participant at Fordham Law School’s Career Planning/Training seminars for law students. John has published several articles related to health care risk management and legal issues, most recently in MD News.